15 January 2009, 19:00

ECtHR finds Russia guilty of disappearance of Ingush resident in 2004

Today, the European Court on Human Rights has passed a decision on the case of Adam Medov, a resident of Karabulak, who disappeared in June 2004 (then he temporarily lived in Nazran). Adam Medov's wife was the applicant. According to the decision of European Court, Russia was found responsible for Medov's disappearance and obliged to pay 35,000 euros of compensation to his relatives.

This is the first decision on the case about disappearance in Ingushetia after the conflict passed over from Chechnya to the territory of this republic, as Cyril Koroteev, a lawyer of the HRC "Memorial", explained the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

On June 15, 2004, Adam Medov left his home in his personal car and never returned. At night of June 16 he managed to telephone his brother Magomed Medov and tell him that his car was out of order. Suddenly, the communication broke. In the evening of June 17 the Medovs were informed that Adam was in the Sunzha ROVD. Soon, some Adam's relatives arrived at the ROVD, where they were told that Adam was no longer among the detainees.

An employee of the ROVD told Medov's relatives that Adam was found roped up in the luggage compartment of the car detained by road police employees at the block-post "Kavkaz-1" between Ingushetia and Chechnya.

The people who were in the car presented IDs of FSB (Federal Security Bureau) officers. The head of the Sunzha ROVD telephoned to the FSB Department for Ingushetia, which confirmed that the persons in the car were really employees of the FSB and acted on legal grounds.

The FSB agents took Medov away into the territory of Chechnya. Since then, he disappeared.

Author: Anastasia Kirilenko Source: CK correspondent

Комментирование через Кавказский узел
All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 03, 2025 22:57

  • Relatives of political prisoners announce 24-hour protest in Tbilisi

    Families of oppositionists arrested in connection with participation in pro-European protest actions have united in a public movement to demand the release of prisoners of conscience. The activists plan to start a 24-hour protest action in front of the parliament building in Tbilisi.

April 03, 2025 22:13

  • Sister of convicted Rizvanov demands answer about legality of law enforcers’ visits

    Two men came to the house of the parents of Abubakar Rizvanov, who was sentenced to imprisonment in a case on terrorism financing, and demanded the information about the place of residence of his children. A sister of Abubakar Rizvanov regarded the constant visits by law enforcers as pressure and demanded an answer about the legality of their actions.

April 03, 2025 21:58

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4