Urus-Martan, photo: russia-open.com

13 December 2022, 23:48

Urus-Martan residents claim oppressive situation after law enforcers' conflict

The situation in Urus-Martan after deployment of OMON (riot police) fighters to search for eyewitnesses of the conflict of two law enforcers remains tense; many of the men who videoed the incident were detained, local residents report. The head of Chechnya, Ramzan Kadyrov, has a long-standing dislike for the Urus-Martan District, which explains his sharp reaction, Ali Magamadov, a political analyst, believes.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported citing Idris Cherkhigov, the head of the GIBDD (traffic police) department for Chechnya, that more than 500 law enforcers were involved in the search for the citizens who were watching the conflict with involvement of a GIBDD inspector. This was preceded by Ramzan Kadyrov's promise to send all the law enforcers to the city, to whom Urus-Martan townspeople "could express their claims." In the opinion of retired law enforcers, sending 500 law enforcers to Urus-Martan to settle the consequences of a minor conflict looks like Chechen authorities' overreaction.

On December 10, in Urus-Martan, a conflict broke out of local residents and a GIBDD inspector: a man slapped the inspector, who responded with shooting at the ground.

Tumisha, a former Urus-Martan school teacher, said that on December 12, the city reminded her of the times when it was under the control of federals troops during the years of the Chechen conflicts; and the appearance of armoured vehicles and armed people in city streets did not bode well. According to her story, in the spring of 2000, during a passport check, two of her brothers were taken away from her home. Since then, as the woman says, nothing is known about their fate.

"Over twenty years have passed since, but today, as in the years of the armed conflict, there are unusually few people in the streets, but there are a lot of masked armed people in the city," Tumisha said, adding that after the conflict, law enforcers detained more than twenty men.

Zulai, an employee of one of the state bodies of the Urus-Martan District, said that they were searching for those who had filmed the conflict in the city.

Ali Magamadov, a political analyst, has noted that Kadyrov directed all his anger not at the participants in the conflict, but at Urus-Martan townspeople. According to his version, Kadyrov has a long-standing enmity towards the Urus-Martan District and its residents, who were in opposition during Dudaev's time.

"But in this case, the main reason for the anger was the fact that the audience treated this conflict as an entertaining performance," Mr Magamadov has noted, adding that Kadyrov took the incident as an attack on his "immutable authority."

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on December 13, 2022 at 02:31 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Source: СK correspondent

Комментирование через Кавказский узел
All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 03, 2025 22:57

  • Relatives of political prisoners announce 24-hour protest in Tbilisi

    Families of oppositionists arrested in connection with participation in pro-European protest actions have united in a public movement to demand the release of prisoners of conscience. The activists plan to start a 24-hour protest action in front of the parliament building in Tbilisi.

April 03, 2025 22:13

  • Sister of convicted Rizvanov demands answer about legality of law enforcers’ visits

    Two men came to the house of the parents of Abubakar Rizvanov, who was sentenced to imprisonment in a case on terrorism financing, and demanded the information about the place of residence of his children. A sister of Abubakar Rizvanov regarded the constant visits by law enforcers as pressure and demanded an answer about the legality of their actions.

April 03, 2025 21:58

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4