Road via the Lachin corridor, November 14, 2020. Photo by Alvard Grigoryan for the Caucasian Knot

25 November 2020, 08:11

Armenia accuses Azerbaijan of capturing 10 civilians

After the announcement of the truce, Azerbaijani militaries detained ten residents of Armenia on the Goris-Berdzor-Stepanakert highway, the Armenian Ombudsperson's Office and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) have stated. The Azerbaijani authorities have not commented on these accusations.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on November 14, the road via the Lachin Corridor was officially opened for civilian traffic; however, the authorities' assurances about the safety of the new route failed to convince residents of Nagorno-Karabakh.

The "Caucasian Knot" has drafted a map to show the territories that will pass over to Azerbaijan after the autumn war. Also, the "Caucasian Knot" has published a deployment map of the Russian peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh.

On November 11, ten civilians disappeared on the Goris-Berdzor-Stepanakert highway, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told at the Armenian Ombudsperson's Office.

David Isaakyan used his car to transport the Karabakh citizens, who decided to return home after the armistice, to the village of Gishi in the Martuni District, Zhanna Gazaryan, David's wife, a resident of Yerevan, told reporters.

On November 15, from a video posted on the Internet, Zhanna learned that David had been taken prisoner, as she recognized him among several captured men who were transported in a car. "He had someone else's torn clothes on; it was clear that they had been tortured," Zhanna Gazaryan has noted.

Other citizens of Armenia have also recognized their relatives in the posted video.

The capturing of ten civilians on November 11 on the Goris-Berdzor-Stepanakert highway was confirmed by Vitaly Voskanyan, Chairman of the Commission on Matters of the Prisoners of War and Missing Persons of the Armenian MoD. The capture of civilians a day after the announcement of the ceasefire means that Azerbaijan fails to observe the ceasefire, Mr Voskanyan told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent, adding that all the facts have been sent to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and other international bodies.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on November 24, 2020 at 07:39 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Armine Martirosyan, Faik Medzhid Source: CK correspondents

Комментирование через Кавказский узел
All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 03, 2025 22:57

  • Relatives of political prisoners announce 24-hour protest in Tbilisi

    Families of oppositionists arrested in connection with participation in pro-European protest actions have united in a public movement to demand the release of prisoners of conscience. The activists plan to start a 24-hour protest action in front of the parliament building in Tbilisi.

April 03, 2025 22:13

  • Sister of convicted Rizvanov demands answer about legality of law enforcers’ visits

    Two men came to the house of the parents of Abubakar Rizvanov, who was sentenced to imprisonment in a case on terrorism financing, and demanded the information about the place of residence of his children. A sister of Abubakar Rizvanov regarded the constant visits by law enforcers as pressure and demanded an answer about the legality of their actions.

April 03, 2025 21:58

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4