Anna Zavgorodnyaya, the mother of Artyom Ponomarchuk, and Sergey Romanov, the head of the Krasnodar branch of the "Committee against Torture", at the presentation of the film named "Extreme South". Photo by Anna Gritsevich for the "Caucasian Knot"

04 March 2019, 11:06

Some 30 people came to first screening of film about torture of Anapa residents

In Krasnodar, the presentation of the film about the four residents of Anapa, who were tortured and became figurants of a robbery case, was visited by about 30 people came. The authors hope that the film will spread on the Internet and watched by bosses of power structures. Parents of the young people have stated that now they have hope for a fair investigation.

Artyom Ponomarchuk, Aram Arustamyan, Karen and Erik Engoyan, who were detained in Anapa in December 2015, confessed to robbery. Their relatives assert that they had confessed to a crime that they had not committed under cruel torture.

In the film named "Extreme South", the young people told how, by using torture with electricity, gas masks and beatings, they were forced to confess to attacking an employee of a tobacco company.

Sergey Romanov, the head of the Krasnodar branch of the "Committee against Torture" (CaT), recalled that earlier films on cases in Chechnya had been made.

Rights defenders intend to appeal to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR), said Igor Kalyapin, the CaT leader. He believes that torture is a common tool for increasing the rate of solved crimes in Russia. He noted that the public knows nothing about torture at law enforcement bodies, as such cases are silenced by official mass media.

Anna Zavgorodnyaya, the mother of Artyom Ponomarchuk, has added that only a public outcry can "get things off the ground."

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on March 3, 2019 at 04:30 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Anna Gritsevich Source: CK correspondent

Комментирование через Кавказский узел
All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

April 01, 2025 22:38

April 01, 2025 21:57

April 01, 2025 21:42

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4